Todd first graduated from the University of Western Australia with first class honours in chemistry in 1992, having won an academic prize for his thesis.
Todd commenced studies towards a Bachelor of Laws in 1994, which he completed in 1997, before qualifying as a Patent Attorney in 2000, winning the national prize for his performance in the qualifying examinations.
In addition to drafting and prosecuting patent applications, Todd’s practice heavily involves validity and infringement opinions as well as contentious issues including oppositions and revocation actions in Australia and New Zealand, keeping him up to date with the latest judicial interpretations of the key legal principles in both jurisdictions.
“Todd has been working with iCeutica since 2005 and has been invaluable in forming and implementing a strategy for our patent portfolio and general approach to protect our wider IP interests. His technical knowledge and experience drawn from both litigation and prosecution has helped us enormously.”
Matthew Callahan, CEO and President, iCeutica Inc
“I have worked with Todd for the best part of a decade, I greatly value his counsel and experience. His biotechnology expertise extends to both pharmaceutical and diagnostic applications within the field. Todd is one of those rare individuals who possess real and practical experience throughout the spectrum of patent filing and strategy right through to litigation, patent assertion and defence. His advice is well-considered and commercially pragmatic. I continue to engage Todd, as well as refer his services to others in the biotechnology industry, to this day.”
Dr David Sparling, Vice President Legal and Corporate Development, Genetic Technologies Limited
“Todd Shand and his colleagues at Wrays have acted as patent attorneys for several life sciences companies that I have been involved with over a period of more than 10 years. Todd has an understanding of the dynamics and needs of early stage companies that results in him being more of an extension to the management team of a company than simply a provider of professional patent attorney services. This is incredibly important in early stage life companies where corporate strategy is intricately linked with IP strategy, and results in a quality of service and value add that is so much more than being ‘just’ a highly accomplished and skilled patent attorney.”
Dr James Williams, Investment Director, Yuuwa Capital LP
- Australian Patent and Trade Marks Attorney.
- New Zealand Patent Attorney.
- Life Science & Biotechnology
- Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy & Process Technology
- Chemistry & Material Sciences
- Sustainable Energy Technology
- Diploma of Intellectual Property Practice
- Bachelor of Laws – University of Western Australia
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Chemistry
- Institute of Patent and Trademark Attorneys of Australia (Fellow).
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia & New Zealand (Member).
- Licensing Executives Society of Australia & New Zealand (Member).
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute (Member; Chartered Chemist).
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (Member).
- AusBiotech (Corporate member).