Your industry – your way
Australia is renowned for its innovations in medical technology. From the ultrasound and the bionic ear, to the electronic pacemaker and plastic spectacle lenses, our inventions have changed the world.
It takes a range of engineering and scientific disciplines to come together to create medical technology and a specialist understanding of the unique intellectual property aspects of medical devices to ensure the value of this asset is protected.
Our medical technology group was created to assist clients to identify and protect their IP in this complex field.
Every member of this team has qualifications and expertise across both active and passive medical technologies – including electrical and mechanical engineering, materials, biological processes and advanced manufacturing. You can be assured that when you talk to us, we will understand the complex nature of your innovation.
Our experience and knowledge enables us to protect any medical technology including:
- mechanical devices – surgical and physical therapy implements, prostheses and implants
- electronic devices – diagnostics and sensor-based inventions
- software and app-based innovations
- innovative methods of treatment using medical devices
Our team can assist you with:
- Recommendations on patentability
- Preparation, filing and prosecution of patent applications
- Advice on freedom-to-operate and infringement
- Patent oppositions (for patentees or third parties)
- Patent litigation (for patent applicants and third parties)
- Commercialisation advice (including reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and agreements)
- Due diligence
- Portfolio management
- Patent watching services (monitoring and surveillance of patent landscapes)
We understand the unique regulatory requirements administered by the Therapeutic Goods Administration and the other financial, regulatory and commercial pressures faced by medical technology companies and tailor our service accordingly.